It looks like we are still missing some information to finalise your profile. Please enter your phone number below to complete your account set up.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I buy off the plan?

The opportunity to buy off the plan property is always exciting, particularly when you have the ability to add your own tastes and designs. Around the location of Marshall White Offices, namely Boorondara, Stonnington and Bayside, apartments and townhomes are typically an affordable entry into these coveted areas, where the median house price is often out of reach for singles or professional couples. Also, depending on your status as either a first home buyer or owner occupier, there can significant stamp duty savings for buying prior to construction commencing or even during. Discuss your own particular situation with your legal professional or tax advisor.

Why should I get in early with regards to buying within a development?

It’s not unusual that popular projects will have one or two price increases during the selling period. We recommend speaking to our Marshall White Projects sales people as soon as you become aware of a new project launching and reserve your prime position at one of our many VIP launch weekends throughout the year.

Can I have a floor plan with dimensions included in the Contract?

Floor plans received from Marshall White Projects will have a scale allowing you to measure off room sizes, ensuring your chosen off the plan purchase is adequately equipped to meet your buying requirements. The Contract of Sale will include a copy of this, along with the Plan of Subdivision.

What changes can I make to my apartment or townhome?

Most developments (particularly boutique in size) will allow a purchaser to make a limited number of changes, affording you the opportunity to bespoke your purchase to your own taste and designs. Be careful however, as not all developments will allow changes so it’s important you discuss your options with the selling sales person prior to entering into a Contract of Sale. Permissible changes will usually be either be cost neutral (i.e. substituting “like for like”) or at the purchasers cost for their requested upgrades.

How do I know what I see in the pictures will match reality?

Good developers know that any imagery shown on a render or within their promotional material must be an accurate reflection of the finished product. The Contract of Sale you approve includes a detailed list of specifications for your property. It’s worth noting that whilst these may not include brand model numbers, as the specific model will usually be updated by the supplier every 12 months, the brand names and an image should be detailed. There is a substitution clause within most off the plan contracts of sale, allowing the developer to provide you with “like for like” if necessary. The developer or Project Manager should advise you if this occurs during the construction period.

What are the inclusions?

All inclusions are detailed within the Contract of Sale. You should check these carefully prior to proceeding, ensuring the expected inclusions are fully detailed. Typically, items such as curtains or blinds and washer/dryers are not included for an off the plan sale.

What’s the legal process when buying off the plan?

We recommend receiving advice from your own legal professional. Purchasing off the plan can be a relatively straight forward process if you’re fully informed from the start.

Where does my deposit go and who gets the interest?

Your agreed deposit (cash) will be held in trust by the vendor’s legal representative with accrued interest then being paid to the vendor at settlement. Some developers may consider a shared arrangement which should be discussed with the sales agents at the time you’re ready to proceed. Once the initial deposit is paid (as per the Contract of Sale), there are no additional progress payments required until the balance is remitted at settlement.

What's the sunset clause or registration period?

Most off the plan Contracts of Sale will have a “sunset clause” or “registration period” which defines the length of time where both the vendor and purchaser are bound to the Contract of Sale. Usually this period ranges anywhere from 24 to 60 months. Whilst this period is typically longer than the actual construction period, these conditions are often a requirement of the banks lending policy, to cover them in the event of a supervening event (floods, earth quake and natural disaster). New laws now give purchaser’s greater consumer protection, post the expiry date of a sunset clause; meaning the developer can not cancel the contract and sell the property for more.

What happens if there is a delay?

Delays to construction commencing can happen for a number of reasons. Typically, it’s as a result of continued inclement weather, council or planning requirements or perhaps the developer was unable to commence immediately owing to insufficient sales and as a result hadn’t satisfied the criteria for a construction loan. So, it’s prudent to ask an agent is there sufficient sales to start building, if so, when is construction anticipated starting and more importantly completing?

What are the Owners Corporation fees?

The owner corporation’s fees are determined by the owner’s corporation manager. These estimated quarterly amounts should be provided to you by your Marshall White Projects salesperson, which set out your contribution to communal items and the ongoing maintenance of the common areas, building and public liability insurance. Note, these fees won’t be applicable until settlement has taken place.

What’s a cooling off period?

Any Contract of Sale for residential property (including an off the plan purchase) provides the purchaser (only) with a three day cooling off period. This is three clear business days, expiring at midnight on the third day. You should be aware however, there is a penalty of 0.2% of the purchase price given to the vendor should you subsequently withdraw (in writing) after the Contracts have exchanged. It’s always prudent to do your homework before entering into a Contract of Sale.

I heard the developer can change anything without my consent?

Before proceeding with any off the plan purchase it’s a good idea to obtain prior advice on the rights and responsibilities afforded to you within any off the plan Contract of Sale. As an example, changes such as an alteration to a plan of sub division affecting common areas must now be bought to your attention prior to the settlement period. Speak to your legal professional first.

What happens if the market falls or interest rates rise?

Whilst we are now enjoying a real estate market of relative stability, there are no guarantees of any markets continued growth during your building’s construction. In an environment of market decline or a rise in interest rates, you are still expected to complete your purchase at settlement. Should this create difficulties, then it’s crucial you speak to your Marshall White Projects sales representative at an early date to discuss alternative finance arrangements or to your legal representative regarding your options in either nominating your sale and your continued legal obligation under the original Contract of Sale.

When do I secure my finance?

Well before entering into a Contract of Sale for an off the plan purchase, you should discuss your individual financing requirements with your preferred lender and/or broker. Marshall White Projects can also assist with recommendations for finance, allowing you to secure an option best suited to your needs. Usually three to four months away from a forecast completion date you should again speak to your lender ensuring they are ready to assist you in meeting your settlement commitments.

What are depreciation benefits?

Depreciation benefits are only applicable for investors. A quantity surveyor will prepare a depreciation schedule, allowing significant depreciation benefits to be then offset against your taxable income. For advice relative to your own personal circumstances we recommended speaking to your tax professional.

What am I entitled to as a first home buyer?

For Contracts entered into for buying or building a new home valued up to $750,000 on and from 1 July 2017 until 30 June 2020, you may be eligible for a First Home Owner Grant (FHOG).


(With an off the plan property, the total Contract price must not exceed $750,000 to be eligible).

If you are eligible for the FHOG and the home you are buying is in regional Victoria, you may receive $20,000. If the home is not in regional Victoria, the grant is $10,000.

Your new home can be a house, townhouse, apartment, unit or similar, but it must be valued at $750,000 or less and be the first sale of the property as residential premises. It cannot be an investment property or a holiday house.

However, for the stamp duty exemption/concession this is determined by the dutiable value for an off the plan property (the dutiable value is the contract price minus the construction or refurbishment costs incurred on or after the contract date). The dutiable value must be below $600,000 for the exemption, and a first home buyer duty concession is also available for a principle place of residence with a dutiable value from $600,001 to $750,000.

For further information, please visit

What’s the process leading up to settlement?

A project manager or developer should send out regular construction updates during your new property’s construction period. Alternatively, you may be directed to the developers dedicated website with information and pictures of your new purchase under construction. A summary of all of our projects under construction can now be viewed by clicking on  .It is important that you have your finance in place at an early date and respond promptly to a request for a final inspection from either the developer or the developer’s appointed settlement company.

Government Incentives for Property Buyers & Sellers

The federal government offers incentives to first home buyers and downsizers to help with their property decisions. We encourage you to familiarise yourself with this information in order to better assist your clients.

First Home Super Saver Scheme (FHSSS)

The FHSSS helps Australians boost their savings for a first home by allowing them to build a deposit inside superannuation.

From 1 July 2017, you can make voluntary concessional (before-tax) and voluntary non-concessional (after-tax) contributions into your super fund to save for a first home.
From 1 July 2018, you can then apply to release your voluntary contributions, along with associated earnings, to help you purchase your first home. {Find out more}

Downsizer superannuation contributions

Since 1 July 2018, eligible older Australians wishing to downsize have been able to contribute up to $300,000 into superannuation from the sale of their home. Existing contribution caps and restrictions will not apply to the downsizer contribution. This measure endeavours to free up larger homes for growing families. {Find out more}

First Home Loan Deposit Scheme

From 1 January 2020, eligible Australian first home buyers with a 5% deposit can get home loans without lenders mortgage insurance (LMI) through a government scheme.


The federal government’s First Home Loan Deposit Scheme will guarantee mortgages for first home buyers who have only saved a 5% deposit, effectively helping them buy sooner without paying lenders mortgage insurance premiums.

  • If you’ve saved 5% of the purchase price of your property the government will guarantee the remaining 15% of the deposit.
  • You will still need to borrow 95%, but you can avoid LMI.
  • Eligible first home buyers can’t be earning more than $125,000 a year ($200,000 for couples).
  • Access to the scheme is limited to 10,000 borrowers.
  • The value of eligible homes under the scheme will vary by region.
  • The scheme starts on 1 January 2020.
  • This scheme will make low deposit home loans The scheme will be administered through the National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation(NHFIC) in partnership with lenders. In an announcement, the government said it would prioritise “smaller lenders to boost competition”.
  • 5% deposit home loans already exist, but you generally need to pay LMI when borrowing more than 80% of a property’s value.
  • LMI can be expensive. If you bought a $400,000 property with a 5% deposit ($20,000) you’d be looking at a $12,768 LMI premium. That’s an estimate taken from Genworth’s LMI premium estimator.
  • You will need to be a first home buyer (and if you own an investment property you won’t be eligible) earning $125,000 ($200,000 for a couple) a year or less.
  • Having negative equity makes it harder to sellyour property or refinance. But if you keep paying off the loan principal and property prices rise you will be OK in the long run.


Are there other government schemes to help me buy a home?

At the state and territory level most governments offer:

  • First home owner grants. This is a grant of money that can be used towards your purchase and is often reserved for first home buyers purchasing newly built properties.
  • Stamp duty concessions. Many governments waive or discount stamp duty for first home buyers, removing one of the bigger property costs.

By now our current clients and customers will be aware of the services provided by our Marshall White Project’s Concierge.

Amy’s available 9:30am to 4:30pm Tuesdays and Thursday and 9:30am to 3:00pm Fridays on (03) 9832 1278 or alternatively via email

Please feel free to contact us at any time, allowing us to assist with your off the plan purchasing requirements.

Contact Us

Address: 1111 High Street Armadale VIC 3143

Phone: +61 3 9832 1197



Register for instant email alerts when a property matches your criteria.